Silver Lake Preserve
A quiet spot for hiking and fishing
Silver Lake Preserve is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
Silver Lake Preserve contains several trails through woodlands and unmowed fields, some small streams and old stone foundations throughout its 236 acres. The topography is rugged, rising in steep rock outcrops from the lake. Fishing is no longer permitted.
Silver Lake was known during colonial times as Horton's Pond. Its name was changed to St. Mary's before reaching its current title. The Horton family operated a grain mill powered by water from the pond, which was formed by damming the Mamaroneck River. The old mill still stands today but is used as a residence independent of the park.
The site was acquired by the county in two parcels in 1924 and 1925. The northern section contains the ruins of the old Stony Hill settlement. This settlement was founded by the Purchase meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers).
In the late 1800's and early 1900's, the Stony Hill community extended at least 26 homes and outbuildings along Stony Hill Road. At its steepest point, the road was paved with cobblestones, ending with a footpath that joined Buckhout Road. Although the park was created in 1925, the last family did not leave until 1941. Several prehistoric and archeological resources have been identified within Silver Lake Preserve.
Admission and Fees: County park pass is not required for admission.
Park Hours: Open seven days a week, 8 a.m. to dusk, year-round.