According to the 1972 articles of Incorporation, the purposes of the organization are:
1. To acquire or lease undeveloped lands and establish thereon educational building(s).
2. To develop natural history and conservation education programs in cooperation with schools, colleges, hospitals, youth groups and other organizations which will develop an understanding and appreciation of natural resources.
3. To cooperate with national, state, county, municipal and private natural resource agencies in providing an outdoor laboratory in which to demonstrate natural resource problems and management techniques.
4. To provide opportunities for individual and family pursuit of hobby or more serious interest in natural resources.
5. To provide trails and facilities so that individuals and family groups may visit the center for the recreation and enjoyment of being in the outdoors.